Re: (ASCEND) Can someone tell me why

> Can someone tell me why on earth the second route listed remains even when
> the static ip connection isn't connected to the Max and the Max is even
> reset ( rebooted)?

Because you have a local Connection profile for this system?
If you have a local Connection profile whose "Telco options...>AnsOrig"
parameter is "Both" then you will see the two routes when the connection
is up.

Because you have a RADIUS route-n profile for this system?

> 206.171.232.40/32  206.171.232.40  wan54    rT     100   2   38509   21372
> 206.171.232.40/32  206.171.232.40  wan54    *SP    120   1     117  105922

> I havent the faintest idea what *SP means

You can find documentation and examples of how to use terminal-server commands
you can check the "MAX ISP & Telecommuting Configuration Guide".  You are
looking at the "show ip route" or "iproute show" information.  The field you
are asking about is the "Flag" field.

       Flg

       The Flg column can contain the following flag values:

              C (A directly connected route such as Ethernet)
              I (ICMP Redirect dynamic route)
              N (Placed in the table via SNMP MIB II)
              O (A route learned from OSPF)
              R (A route learned from RIP)
              r (A RADIUS route)
              S (A static route)
              ? (A route of unknown origin, which indicates an error)
              G (An indirect route via a gateway)
              P (A private route)
              T (A temporary route)
              * (A hidden route that will not be used unless another
                 better route to the same destination goes down)

> but that route has been on the max even AFTER its rebooted and when the
> connetion profile associated with that ip ISN'T connected to the MAX.

So, you are looking at a hidden static private route.  I would expect to
find it at boot time if you had a local connection profile (always present)
or a RADIUS route-n profile (loaded from RADIUS as the MAX boots).