Re: (ASCEND) Max4000 and TWO telcos ?

At 10:37 AM 6/30/98 -0700, Peter Lalor wrote:

>This is what Ivan (who knows of what he speaks) in Ascend Support said at
>the time, and it was exactly the fix for frame slips on a Frame Relay T1:
>
>>This is a timing synchronization problem between the TNT and the frame
>>relay switch.   Since the TNT is taking timing off the PRI, it cannot also
>>take timing from the FR  T1.   What you need to do is to contact the
>>carrier that provides you the FR T1 and ask him to take timing off the TNT.
>
>Whether you always need to do this I don't know, but it worked for me.

This is a result of the troubleshooting process. Unfortunately with the TNT
the chances of having to do this are multiplied somewhat by the number of
different T1/T3 interfaces you are supporting. In many cases, the clocking
on a MAX with only 2 or 3 PRI/T1s will be OK, as the likelihood
(statistically)
of the lines all falling in sync are much higher than when you start adding
more lines - especially from different carriers/switches.

There is no clear-cut answer. As you can see from one of our own FAQs:
http://www.ascend.com/faqs/551/434.html
- we have obviously seen this problem enough times, that we advise that all
T1s be sourced from the same switch.

There is no good way that I'm aware of to know in advance if this is going to
work - hence our disclaimer worded in that FAQ. It might work (as often it
does),
but since we can't guarantee it....

Kevin Smith			Ascend Communications...
Customer Satisfaction	...where Network Solutions never end.