Thanks for the interesting and informative replies, Clark and Jeff!

I ordered an $8 USB keyboard from Amazon on Friday:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017LRFVKS/

It arrived this afternoon (Sunday).  I immediately pulled off all but 10
of the keys using a large paperclip (which worked great).  I tested it
out.  It worked perfectly.

I replaced the space bar with a smaller key so that I could hit the Alt
key easily without hitting the space bar.

This is a lot cheaper than the Vidami device that inspired me:

https://www.amazon.com/Vidami-YouTube-Hands-Video-Controller/dp/B08NXV8Q9Y/

The Vidami seems to be dependent on proprietary software and it is made
for working witn YouTube videos.  I work with MP3 and MP4 files, mostly
with VLC, so I didn't want the Vidami even though it looks pretty cool.
It also costs $150, so I saved more than $140 with my $8 solution.  The
tax on the Vidami would have been more than the total cost of the USB
keyboard.  It only took about 5 minutes to pull off the unwanted keys.

Mike