> While reading a little about the "Intel Management Engine" this post
> came to mind. One issue of interest might be how the Intel ME (and other
> brand) silent systems can send network traffic "out of band," even while
> the main system is turned off but sideband power still on.

Well, let us know if you find out. I wanted to jail a system and see if it
actually tries to "phone home". Alternatively, it may be listening for specific
packets to arrive. I had a brief discussion with somebody (local to Mpls)
who is part of the Libre BIOS movement about this. I hypothesized that the
ICMP protocol (used for ping) is used to activate the IME of a given machine.
Hard to actually detect this happening unless one is listening to open IP
traffic ("man in the middle" style) and collecting ICMP packets for analysis.
I do not have the time to work on implimenting this now, but it can be done.

> Apparently, nobody, even Google, knows how to turn this off.

This person, who reads this list, can direct you to flushing Libre BIOS to
your system. We do not know for sure, but you are getting a BIOS other than
what the system came with. I am uncertain of the details and how effective
this is.

(Will monitor this thread.)