the mplayer manual says the parentheses adjust the balance.  but what they
seem to do surprises me.  at 50% i can hear stereo separation, but,
approaching either 0% or 100%, both sides remain at normal volume, but
stereo separation seem to revert to monaural.  my fav music source being
catch2.stream.publicradio.org/radioheartland.mp3.  so is this an mplayer
thing, or is something peculiar about my setup?  seems with some work you
can whip up balance controls in vlc, tho i confess i haven't yet tried that
whip.  what linux player do y'all use?  do balance controls work as you'd
expect?
tia,
greg