hmm:

>$ pactl load-module module-loopback latency_msec=1
>27
>$ pactl load-module module-loopback latency_msec=1
>28

each of the above was followed by a quick flash on the Playback tab of
pavucontrol, like some device appeared but disappeared again far too
quickly to see what it was.

>$ pactl list
> Module #27
>   Name: module-loopback
>   Argument: latency_msec=1
>   Usage counter: n/a
>   Properties:
>      module.author = "Pierre-Louis Bossart"
>      module.description = "Loopback from source to sink"
>      module.version = "13.99.1"
> Module #28
>   Name: module-loopback
>   Argument: latency_msec=1 Usage counter: n/a
>   Properties:
>      module.author = "Pierre-Louis Bossart"
>      module.description = "Loopback from source to sink"
>      module.version = "13.99.1"

and yes i do have "sideband" now from mic into earcups with a tiny delay.
thanks!  but the quick flash and immediate disappearance of the device in
pavucontrol seems bizarre to me.  actually the volume of it is about
perfect, but if i were to want to observe or adjust it at all...any idea?

(focal ubuntu pavucontrol 4.0-1build1)