I've always just picked a name from a theme and have not used a given
domain name on my LAN.Once I used fish as a theme - sunfish, perch,
musky, bluegill, ...
I use my Ubiquiti EdgeRouter as my DNS and DHCP server and assign given
IPs.Then I set up the /etc/hosts files to reflect the IPs I give to my
known hosts.I start below the 127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localho
st::1	 	localhost6.localdomain6	localhost6section and add my
declarationse.g.If I leave the first 128 available as non-assigned, and
have DHCP give out addresses to 172.20.100.0/24, then unknown hosts get
one of the first 128 IPs.172.20.100.129	bluegill172.20.100.254	ubiquit
i	fw	musky

Connecting to the other hosts on the LAN is as easy as $ ssh bluegillor
from a browserhttps://bluegill
I also create ufw rules on my LAN machines that, for example, only
allow ssh from 172.20.100.0/24 or even more restricted than that like
172.20.100.128/25 or /26, /27, /28, or even /29 depending on which IPs
I want to give ssh access to other hosts on the LAN.