I've had a little time to discover yet another step into the linux future.

Installing opensuse 15.1 on the same PC with opensuse 42.3 revealed some
changes.

First, NetworkManager is now booted by default. It discovered the needed
network driver automatically for my wired eth, and hooks right into the
internet. Before, I had to use the Yast network set-up tool. I don't
know if automatic network eth and wifi is smart, but I don't see anybody
too worried about security anymore.

Looking into the Yast "services manager" tool I then resolved other
confusions. The buttons indicate "start" choices of "manually," or "on
boot." Instead of the previous "enable" or "disable." Kind of an aha
moment for me.

Another capability is new desktops mentioned by TCLUG members. And a
surprise is new kernel documentation in HTML.

I don't know where to go with this, except I need a hardware upgrade. I
looked at Intel NUCs and their "Clear Linux" but don't yet feel like
getting naked on "the cloud."

Simply put, I'm getting swept into the past, but I'm not dead yet and
really like what might be the last chapter in my linux experience.