I'm familiar with the issues of various battery type tests and so on, and have resistors and meters, etc.  I prefer to just buy a battery tester since these have some built-in load so one is measuring with a suitable and small current draw so as to avoid the "open circuit" terminal emf readings that tell little or noting about the discharge state of the battery being tested.  The model I like best came from eBay.  It looks kinda like a small black plastic monkey wrench with a red jaw that slides to the battery top.  It has a meter and tests flashlight battery types plus a few other types.  The meter has red, yellow,and green areas and may have other markings.  It was very inexpensive ($2?)  I bought a battery tester from Harbor Freight that I don't like as much.  I have done home-brew testing and even tried to implement spec-sheet load conditions, but never found the extra effort worthwhile for home use.  In mil-spec custom designed equipment cases, the battery is a known type and thus suitable for more exacting test and maybe a proof of spec compliance in the test design.   YMMV.

Chuck