> my fairly new Dell Latitude laptop

^^^^^ that’s your issue. Anything out of the box without looking for drivers for the special parts (trackpads are special parts) you probably won’t really succeed.

Seeing as it is based on FreeBSD there’s a higher likelihood you won’t get it to work there, either. But if you find drivers for Linux variants you can install the linux libraries into BSD and try to install and see if they work there.

YMMV