I don't know anything about any BSD. But I installed tmux from the
openSUSE repository and ran it on the KDE terminal emulator "konsole"
and the fonts were the usual tiny "konsole" fonts. Konsole allows you to
change the fonts from a menu bar, and also multiplex tabs and windows.

But I like what little I read about "tmux" and "session management."

Many years ago I was on the NCurses mailing list and remain proud that I
informed Thomas Dickey, the maintainer of NCurse, xterm, etc., about the
virtual terminal use of the VESA 2 framebuffer on SuSE Linux. All linux
terminal programs were liberated from the EGA huge fonts. I played with
some direct framebuffer graphics. Nothing I did was notable. But I
suspect your screen does not use a framebuffer graphics mode. People
tried SVGA lib, and sometimes (like me) burned out the CRT monitor.

So if you're stuck on BSD, I agree you should ask some experts. If you
want a working system, maybe openSUSE is worth a try.

But I'm going to learn more about "tmux" regardless. The FreePascal
"freevision" provides buttons and all. I'll see if a mouse works in
"tmux." But I like the hard core advanced session management, if I don't
get blown away by complexity.