Sounds like you need to join a BSD list. There are some BSD groups that have
a very strong presence on the web. I think you will gain more from those than
from this one, where you get either no responses are a non-response like mine.

> > I've also been learning tmux as an alternative to X.  My complaint
> > about that is the font is too big.  I haven't figured out how to change
> > it.  When I run 'env' from within tmux, TERM is set to `screen`.
>
> Font is not the right word.  I'm not sure what to use instead
> maybe text or characters.

I will be pedantic. It is not an "alternative to X', although I know what you
mean. X is a lot more than terminals being displayed. tmux is a terminal
multiplexer, which is short for "I have several shells open and send a
depth-aware superposition of their contents to a single terminal across a
serial-like line".