My wrestling matches with FreeBSD, TrueOS, GhostBSD and Trident
continue.  Things were going well with Trident until I tried to install
their
release from a couple weeks ago.  My 'dd' command seemed to work,
but after the install failed with something about zfs and MOS, I
wondered if my usb stick might be the problem -- it's a little old.
I didn't want to try it on another one though.  If Trident doesn't
work the first time it is kind of a pain to do much with when it is
over 3gb.

After that I tried hardenedBSD for the first time.  I couldn't
get that to work.  Then I tried FreeBSD 12.  Couldn't get that
to work either.  (I'm trying all this on a 4 year old Haswell machine.)
Then I tried FreeBSD 11.2 and was able to install that.  I was on plain
FreeBSD a year or so ago and am having some of the same
problems I had then.  I've tried searching for some posts about
that because I think I posted some package(s) that I had to
install to get X running, but I haven't been able to find those
posts.  I've installed an xorg metaport package and also
lumina desktop and xfce desktop.  When I try to start either of
those I get that it can't load module ast.   (If I remember right
Trident is based on FreeBSD 12 so I may need newer hardware
to be able to keep using Trident or FreeBSD 12.  This thought
just occurs to me as I'm writing this so maybe this posting has
already paid off.)

I've also been learning tmux as an alternative to X.  My complaint
about that is the font is too big.  I haven't figured out how to change
it.  When I run 'env' from within tmux, TERM is set to `screen`.

Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises - Ben Shapiro interviews D-Day vets this week
on his Sunday show --
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=d-day+vets+sunday+special&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=XX4RUsJoR4c

https://github.com/Ebenezer-group/onwards