Some young avid Linux user might be interested in trying FreePascal. I
have played with many aspects, and continue to be a big fan.

But only recently I adventured into the DOS Turbo Vision TUI replacement
called Free Vision. Free Vision certainly works on Linux and is used for
an IDE in the Free Pascal development package. You can pack a lot of
text and controls on modern Linux terminal emulators. The KDE term is
too packed, but the XFCE term is great.

Nothing wrong with X Window System. But if you want lots of data and
lots of applications and lots of activity, then lots of terminal
emulators seems a good container.

There is a great working example included in the Free Pascal, Free
Vision install. But the IDE uses Free Vision, so you can easily see what
it is. Free Vision sources are in directories named "fv."

The example has a little clock and can temporarily return to/from the
linux shell, too.