Brian Wood
I remember you having an interest in TrueOS-legacy but don't know if
you've been following development at all so here's a heads up.
Project Trident has released their first stable version.

http://www.project-trident.org/post/2019-01-15_18.12-release_available/

What is Project Trident
Project Trident is a desktop-focused operating system based on TrueOS.
It uses the Lumina desktop as well as a number of self-developed
utilities to provide an easy-to-use system that both BSD beginners and
advanced system administrators can feel comfortable running 24⁄7.

http://project-trident.org/

What is TrueOS
TrueOS is based on the legendary security and stability of FreeBSD.
TrueOS follows FreeBSD-CURRENT, with the latest drivers, security
updates, and packages available.
TrueOS is a downstream fork of FreeBSD

https://trueos.org/more-on-trueos/

TrueOS-legacy= the desktop oriented TrueOS before they went
server/coreos only.

disclaimer: Though I used TrueOS-legacy and and helped with beta
testing Project Trident I no longer use either.

harv