I use no slower than Class 10 mSDHC cards in mine. Anything slower takes for-ev-er to image.

There’s no way to add a SATA drive to the Pi without doing it over USB so there’s no benefit to that other than capacity to doing it that way - you’re probably better set using it as secondary storage and not running the OS from it. That’s the plan with my projects.

I’ve run all my stuff off a massive 12VDC LGM battery for days at a time without issue and, to be fair, shutting down improperly is something the Pi just doesn’t have to worry that much about. Yes files get left open sometimes but I’ve never had one fail because of a file issue… entire cards have failed but never a boot failure caused by locked files.

Tweaking can be done directly on the memory card, if you feel you have to, but I use SSH connections for my non-Zeroes to do my configurations if I don’t have a KVM handy.