On Wed, 2019-12-04 at 19:51 -0600, o1bigtenor wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I had a system built in Jan 2012 which included an Asus P9X79 mobo and
> 3 Geforce 570 video cards where I've been running a variant of Debian,
> usually testing, ever since. I ran using 2 of those cards utilizing
> first fully proprietary drivers and then a couple years ago I shifted
> to the debian version of the same. This last spring 2 of the 3 cards
> failed and nvidia retired support for the cards in their current
> drivers so I went to using nouveau for my graphic card driver.
> I purchased a Radeon RX570 graphics card and a week ago swapped out
> Nvidia 570 card. I was unable to even get the system to post on first
> try (I had all 4 monitors plugged into the gpu). Went back to the
> Nvidia card and the system is working just fine. Tried the Radeon
> RX570 again this time only plugging in 1 monitor - - - - the gpu light
> do come on but I can't tell if much further is happening. I called my
> purchase point and they requested I send it back to them. They are now
> telling me that the card is working well on their M$ test machine.
>
> I'm not sure what to do or what I did wrong in my install attempt.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA

Switching from Nvidia to Radeon, or vice versa, means you need to
switch your video drivers and generally a pain in the butt because of
the need to completely remove or blacklist some/all of the previous
driver files.

For some reason I have it in my head that nouveau will not work with
Radeon, but I could be wrong here.

Here's what I'm currently running (Ubuntu 18.04, a Debian variant) and
driving a 40" 3840x2160 and a 24" 1920x1200 display both @ 60Hz, and I
switched from an Nvidia card when I got the 4K UHD display.

# lspci -nn | grep -E 'VGA|Display'
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
[AMD/ATI] Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290/390] [1002:67b1] (rev 80)

# lshw -c video
  *-display
       product: Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290/390]
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci at 0000:02:00.0
       version: 80
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master
cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=radeon latency=0
       resources: irq:30 memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:cf800000-
cfffffff ioport:a000(size=256) memory:fba80000-fbabffff memory:c0000-
dffff

# modinfo -F filename `lshw -c video | awk '/configuration:
driver/{print $2}' | cut -d= -f2`
/lib/modules/4.15.0-72-generic/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/radeon.ko

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver