On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 3:48 PM, Iznogoud <iznogoud at nobelware.com> wrote:

>> I would use separate disks if that were an option but there is room for only
>> one drive in the chassis. I bought this sy stem cheap because I need someplace
>> to test software BEFORE I install on my primary systems this way I won't be
>> destroying my main systems with new software rather just a testing system and
>> if things work - - -well then they get moved to their permanent homes
>> and if they
>> don't - - - HOSED! (and without my main systems getting polluted!)
>>
>> Sorry -  - its a good idea but not possible this time.

It seems I have caused you some serious pain - --don't think I meant to do that!

You seem to think that I am some kind of programmer by trade. I am only someone
who has used a computer as a tool for a long time. That is quite different from
someone who uses a computer to produce tools.

> You do not wnat to use VMs (the safest and easiest), you do not want to hack
> your way to boot multiple systems on your own. You seem to want to do this
> within the context of how distributions ship out, especially the ones that are
> meant for the starting Linux user who is looking for convenience. (Methinks)

If I knew how to hack a way to boot multiple systems I would have done it. The
procedure that I had used in the past for multi-booting isn't working and with
quite a bit more than a trivial amount of time I cannot find any ideas
on how to
'hack my way to boot multiple systems' . So I then asked for help here where
there has been help proffered in the past. If you would rather not answer a
direct question - - - fine - - -but please don't play around with the
question and
infer what you don't know (my background for one!).

> if you want to be doing this kind of testing with different disks, why close
> the chassis at all... Keep a SATA and a power wire out and keep plugging and
> unplugging. Do this until you have learned all you need to know. Maybe this is
> the next best piece of advise I can offer to using VMs.
>
> When in college in the 90s, my frankensteined PC had almost all components
> resting on eachother inside an open chassis for which I did not have the screws.
> My favourite setup was that of a friend, who had the system hanging on the wall
> with nails, like artwork.

I guess that this kind of working environment would appeal to some,
sorry - - - not
to me.

Thanking you for your ideas.

Regards