On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 4:35 PM, Iznogoud <iznogoud at nobelware.com> wrote:
> I will jump in, but I am sure Randy will chime in.
>

>> Internet --- wireless isp ---their radio (I have NO control over nor
>> access really)
>> --- my router --- LAN
>>

> This is basically the setup, even when the medium is a wire via DSL or a cable
> modem. But we need to be more specific. After the "wireless ISP" you have a
> modem of some sort, which is something that speaks the language of the radio
> communication. This box can also have the LAN network integrated, which is
> what Andrew eluded to when he said that the whole box can go dead when the
> ISP link goes dead.

The 'radio', as it called by my isp is outside about 45 m away on a
tall roof with a
3 m mast on it with the radio on the mast. The ethernet cable runs
from that 'radio'
to the house where there is a little box (with plugs to provide power
to the 'radio')
all of which I have zero control over. The first piece after this
little box (and its about
3 cm x 5 cm x 12cm outside so its quite small) is my router and and and.

>In Randy's case (and in my case), there is a second
> router in series with that box; in Randy's case it is the Ubiquiti (in my
> case it is a D-Link wired/wireless router, similar). The WAN port of the second
> router goes into the LAN of the integrated modem+router box. In this way,
> anything that happens to the modem+router will just look like a dead WAN
> link to the second router. The benefit is that you will not lose your LAN
> should that happen.
>
> It is so simple, it is not even worthy of discussion, which is why you did not
> find explicit instructions on this online. Most people just plug all LAN
> devices (or wireless) to the modem+router that the ISP provided. You did too...

See above - - - - somewhat different.

> Randy took the extra step to make the link from the ISP to the second router
> be a passthrough, as if the WAN of the second router is directly connected
> to that ISP. You may not care to do that. I did not.
>
> Looks like that managed $30 Cisco router will work fine as your second
> router. I'd recommend that you spend the extra $20, get the Ubiquiti, read
> that PDF that Randy sent (I glanced through it), and ask Randy any questions.

I'm liking the idea of 12 ports and might want 16 if I'm at it. Not
that I don't want
the other just that I really don't have enough ports on the router now and that
switch (if that would work in place of the second router) would then
scratch 2 itches,
what's not to like?

Dee