On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 9:31 AM, r hayman <rhayman at pureice.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-09-01 at 13:51 +0000, Iznogoud wrote:

> Internet --- cable modem --- EdgeRouter --- LAN(s)
>
> The EdgeRouter will only get a single ISP-provided IP addr (unless I
> subscribe to business class, which I don't). The cable modem still gets its
> single IP addr but it's passed through to the EdgeRouter. The DOCSIS
> protocol is what cable modems use and that controls the aspects of my
> subscription from the ISP.
>
> The EdgeRouter's WAN port gets the single ISP-provided IP addr. The LAN side
> is all under my control and there are no Internet routable IP addrs on the
> LAN side.
>
> Behind the EdgeRouter (the LAN side), I can have as many IP addrs as I
> want/need, and each LAN configured in the the EdgeRouter can have it's own
> DHCP server serving separate subnets.
>
> I too, use VirtualBox, and bridge the host's IP addr to the VM - that's just
> another NAT (network address translation) - the same type of NAT going on in
> the EdgeRouter that translates all of my LAN IP addrs to the single WAN IP
> addr.
>
> For the current Comcast cable modems, here's how you put them into bridge
> mode.
> In your browser, open up http://10.0.0.1 (this used to be 192.168.0.1, but
> changed with the latest cable modems, but if 10.0.0.1 doesn't work, try
> 192.168.0.1)
> The default Username/password is admin/password (how original)
> On the home page,  click the "Enable" button next to "Bridge Mode:" (see
> attached file if it comes through)
>
> Hope that helps

I've been searching all the networking info sites I can find and really haven't
found another mention of this 2 routers in series technique. Not trying to say
it doesn't or can't work just that no one else is talking about it.

My situation may be a bit different.

Internet --- wireless isp ---their radio (I have NO control over nor
access really)
--- my router --- LAN

What I'm understanding you (Randy) to say is that if I installed a second router
in series to the first that I would be able to have an internal LAN
and also to connect
to the WAN (rest of the world). This, you suggest will give me an
operational lan
even when my isp goes down. Would it be possible to do this by placing a managed
switch (something like this:)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-Catalyst-2955C-12-switch-managed-12-ports/263350126786?epid=74142690&hash=item3d50e408c2:g:LuwAAOSwFb5aHZ2L

If I need 2 routers no problem - - - 2 routers it is, but if I could
get that lan even when
the isp dies using a switch (managed or otherwise) that might help things here.
(I am at using 6 ports here already and likely could use more soon if
that matters.)

(Example switch was chosen just on the basis of 'cheap'  - - -
suggestions are quite
welcome. I am finding that besides simple plug in 2 computers into a router and
maybe a printer there just isn't much information out there. This
isn't some black arcane
art - - - is it?)

TIA

Dee