I hope I don't get others mad at me for this reply-in-kind.

I took my first assembly language course using punch cards. Later I got
an IBM punch card reader and tore it down to re-purpose. Wow, impressive
machinery. Same with a large teletype; the dot matrix printer with large
stepper motor and power supply were re-purposed.

As you know, I've been most active in climate related agriculture.
Recently I saw a BBC story how urbanites now also blame food for
climate. Of course they are right, but it is also clear having no energy
and no food is suicide. Too many kids have no skills to improve anything
and they want to throw out everything.

My guess is that Goodwill worker was throwing out stuff so people went
to a retailer for Christmas. A huge store full of actual junk and they
gut audio electronics?

I simply like how Unix and Linux work. And am delighted to learn, and
appreciate the artistic core engineering. And I need love and kindness
and beauty and wisdom in my life. Most kids have never seen wildflowers
in spring or heard songbirds, either.