> for exquisite confusion, background jobs may also input from the
terminal.  if there's a setting that controls that, i'm unaware...

In the darker days of my youth, I routinely used this feature with some of
the scripts a coworker delivered for company use.

I distinctly remember the day in college when we also figured out how to
send raw keystrokes from one SSH session to another. We had left a 'yum
upgrade' running, and it was waiting for a 'y' to confirm the changes, and
we had not yet discovered the wonderous thing known as 'screen', and would
rather figure out how to echo keys through /dev/pts0 than kill and restart
a process on a new session.