I use incremental tar and ccrypt to Google Drive.  Incremental tar has some
bugs in perfectly extracting if you renamed directories or something but
its good for bulk.  I also use LUKS on top of md with bitmaps with one of
the mirrors on sshfs  to a VPS and sync it up every minute ..but it took
some work getting it to work reliably.

People tell me to use lsyncd.  You could use that, or rdiff-backup, or
rsync, or rsync --link-dest for versioning, with a VPS on an ecrypted
filesystem, but I suspect there are better ways.

I've wanted to try https://nbd.sourceforge.io/ instead of md over sshfs.