> The issue is, imo anyway, misbehaving software.
> Have a UPS and working on connecting the much larger one that I also have.
> What are you recommending for backup? I have an early model blu-ray writer
> and even 25GB of storage doesn't go very far!
> Drives are on Raid-10.
> External notification would be nice but I don't want even more 'noises
> in the night'
> so that won't likely be happening.
> May just reset this some time but I don't reboot the server often so it may have
> to wait for a bit.

You should be able to catch misbehaving software with syslog, messages and
dmesg.

I use "nut" to monitor UPSs and it has pretty good support for most things that
come out in the market.

I am an advocate of both passive and active backups. Active backups can be
easy for small-time servers, like your own. You an even attach a drive to it,
use an encrypted container on it (or not), and mount it to do backups. But the
way most serious people od it is with "snapshots". There must be tools that
you can find to do it at zero cost.