> I'm pretty sure I've run 4 monitors off one nvidia card in the past, all
> on the same X screen. Did they implement such a limit recently?

Sounds like this is with the open drivers, not the proprietary ones. I did not
know the issues with limits on the number of monitors per X-screan until I
read it here a few posts ago.

What may not be working well is the 3D accelerations, in all cases. Running
'glxinfo' should shed light on that. Nouveau has DRI and for simple 3D accel.
it is fine.

The thing about the open drivers is that the OpenGL standard supported is not
much farther than 2.x, or maybe 3, while anything coming out of the nvidia
factory will likely be the latest (4 or something).

nouveau has given me some crashes, sparsely. And they are pretty bad (system is
responsive, but restarting X, or sanything else, does not work and I need a
full reboot).

(You people have a lot of monitors. I use one, both at work and at home.)