On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 09:29:40AM -0500, o1bigtenor wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 8:44 AM, Andrew Lunn <andrew at lunn.ch> wrote:
> >> Running as previously, on Debian testing (10 or buster) with a pile of
> >> ram and and (lots of resources), with what may be more unusual is 2
> >> graphics cards and 4 monitors set up as 2 x-screens. (Would love to
> >> condense that into 1 screen if someone has the know how and can
> >> describe it but 2 works well enough even if 1 would be quite slick
> >> (and very 'interesting').)
> >
> > Are the two cards from the same vendor? Or different vendors?
>
> Both are nvidia 570 cards from the same vendor.
> >
> > I've done this in the past using Xinerama.
>
> I am using xinerama but using 2 xscreens. Its using only 1 xscreen that
> I don't know anything about!

You should not need to use Xinerama in order to have one Xserver merge
two screens on a single card.

Ah, hold on. Are you using the proprietary nvidia driver? Maybe you
have to use Xinerama for that driver?

All the open source drivers should drive two displays on one card
without any additional configuration.

You might also find the open source driver just correctly finds two
cards, four displays, and it all just works out of the box.

But there is a trade off. The open source drivers might just work out
of the box, the nvidia proprietary stuff will give you better
performance. If it is a gaming machine, you probably want the
performance. If its just a developers box, where you just need large
screen acreage, mostly text, the open source driver might be
sufficient.

    Andrew