Speaking of embedded, and in relation to what I had posted (asking for info on
building an embedded system), I have done a lot of searching and found all the
usual sources of info. It is not exactly what I am looking for, and the texts
cited are scattered. One text that is almost mandatory reading is this O'Reily
book: "Building Embedded Linux Systems - Yaghmour et al." The text does not
read how I would write it, but it is good.

I found that a lot of experimentation with VMs is excellent geeking out and a
great practical learning tool. I think I'll get to what I want pretty quickly
with some more individual effort.