On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 6:16 PM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Aug 2018, gregrwm wrote:
>
>> The issue is that the machine that needs those programs has no

>>> Maybe the key is to use apt-get with the -d option:
>>>
>>>   -d, --download-only
>>>       Download only; package files are only retrieved, not unpacked or
>>>       installed. Configuration Item: APT::Get::Download-Only.
>>>
>>> Apparently, "apt-get -d install will download the given package and all
>>> missing dependencies to the system packages directory
>>> (/var/cache/apt/archives)." And this is best for use of "if you want to
>>> 'pre-download' a set of packages for later installation."  Or so I'm
>>> told...
>>>
>>> https://askubuntu.com/questions/463380/difference-between-
>>> apt-get-d-install-apt-get-download
>>>
>>> So, maybe I can do that on the USB stick, then copy the downloaded files
>>> over to the laptop, putting them in /var/cache/apt/archives.  If that
>>> works, then I just need to know the command to install the
>>> "pre-downloaded"
>>> files.  Any ideas?
>>>

>> if you get that far, just repeat the apt command on the box with the
>> infused packages, it should see and use them.
>>

> Do you mean that if the .deb files are all copied into
> /var/cache/apt/archives and I run this command...
>
> sudo apt install dkms
>
> ...then it will find and install that package and dependencies from the
> files without trying to look to the internet repositories?

that is what i meant, tho on second thought apt-get may still want the
network to check the metadata, and i'm not sure --no-download will help,
tho you may as well try.  the help.ubuntu.com topic "Installing packages
without an Internet connection" makes it look a bit harder.  i suppose you
still might be able to just fool apt-get by copying in the metadata too,
and running it before the metadata expires.