On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 3:54 PM, Iznogoud <iznogoud at nobelware.com> wrote:

> I did try to take later kernel modules and back-port them to an older
> kernel.
> Sometimes it works... The only benefit is that one does not need to make
> huge
> upgrades (kernel, modules, clib, other libs, etc) but now you are running
> on
> an ad hoc system and uncharted territory. Sounds like a thing a Slackware
> user
> would do... but not too often.

in my experience using a newer kernel together with an older userspace
almost always just works (indeed openvz et al rely on this), tho i confess
my experience has rarely included module issues, if i had a reason to i'd
try keeping the module heirarchy together with a new kernel and try them
with the rest of everything being an older userspace.