I'm installing Ubuntu 18.04.  It was very smooth and fast to install it as
a dual boot system with Windows 10 already there.  It hardly took any of
my time and it must have only run for 15 minutes.  But...

WiFi isn't working.  It's a Realtek RTL8822BE network adapter, so it's
supposed to work with version 4.14 of the kernel and I have 4.15:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Realtek-RTL8822BE

But it looks like I need certain programs to install a driver, and those
programs were not included with the base system.  For example, this bit of
codee uses dkms...

git clone -b extended https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new.git
sudo dkms add ./rtlwifi_new
sudo dkms install rtlwifi-new/0.6
sudo cp /usr/src/rtlwifi-new-0.6/firmware/rtlwifi/* /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/

...and this uses make:

git clone https://github.com/synthtc/rtlwifi-next
cd rtlwifi-next
sudo make install
sudo modprobe -r rtl8822be
# make sure secure boot is turned off or the next line will fail
sudo modprobe rtl8822be

But I don't have either dkms or make installed and they have a bunch of
dependencies:

$ sudo apt show dkms
Package: dkms
Version: 2.3-3ubuntu9.2
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Installed-Size: 290 kB
Depends: kmod | kldutils, gcc, dpkg-dev, make | build-essential, coreutils (>= 7.4), patch
[snip]

So ... what's the trick?  I have the bootable USB stick I used to install
Ubuntu and it has plenty of room on it.  Is there an easy way to download
all the packages to that USB stick?  (Could boot it on another laptop
where networking works.)  I could then copy the package files to the
laptop, and there must be another easy command I could use there, right?
It seems like there should be a fairly automatic way of doing it.

TIA.

Best,

Mike