> Swapoff checks that automatically -- but I usually do it when I notice that
> I am using a ton of swap, but not all my ram. It may just be an illusion,
> but it seems that when I have a browser that is starting to act up and
> slow, this fixes it.

Right. But the danger does exists that you will get a "killed by kernel" if
a given process is indeed using too much memory. Then, maybe it is time for
more RAM.

Maybe swap partitions (or swap files) on SSD drives are a touch better, but
nothing like the real thing ("No replacement for displacement" is said about
cars.)