Heh, you don't even need a live CD, just interrupt grub, edit boot line and
add init=/bin/bash and boot from there.

This is not a bug, and here is how you can prevent it from being exploited

1. Full disk encryption, which is usually sufficient on its own but the
next two are good too.
2. Grub password to disallow changing boot parameters
3. Bios password to disallow changing boot order
4. If fde is not an option then at least use dmcrypt, encfs or ecryptfs