On Fri, 2017-05-19 at 12:54 -0500, Scott Raun wrote:
> We're going to be getting new laptop computers in the near
> future.  My
> wife has been happily running Peppermint 3.0 for a couple of years,
> and wants to continue running Linux.
>
> We installed Peppermint because it would load and run on the old Dell
> Latitude we inherited.  (Thanks, Josh! It's been a workhorse - it
> just
> can't keep up with what she wants to do on the web nowadays.)  The
> new
> laptop will be significantly more powerful.  Any recommendations on
> distros to consider instead of just going straight to Peppermint 7?

Do the research.
Choose the distro then the laptop that has compatibility or choose the
laptop and research which distro has all the right drivers to make it
all work on install.
Gone are the days of picking a laptop and dropping your preferred
distro on it and everything just works.
For example
Qualcomm atheros (AKA Killer) wifi cards have more issues than Intel
cards - actually connecting and staying connected to lower throughput
speed.
What graphics card/architecture (AMD/NVidia/Intel)? Onboard Intel
graphics has better battery life.
Internal/External monitor resolution to be used? FHD?, 3K?, 4K? You may
or may not need the power of separate graphics card.
Laptop slots? some models have more traditional connectors (USB-2, HDMI
1.2, SD card, 3.5mm headphone) and some don't
Docking station? Some smart docking stations do not play well with
Linux.
Sometimes your choice to use a LTS version is hampered by not being
able to support your new hardware, sometimes your choice to not use a
LTS version breaks your ability to keep using certain hardware e.g.
AMD dropping support for proprietary AMD driver in favor of encouraging
users to use the open-source AMDGPU/Radeon drivers so your distro
upgrade removes working drivers. Unfortunately the open-source drivers
do not support all functionality that the proprietary drivers did.
I first installed Linux (RedHat 2.1 CD, kernel 1.2) on a new Compaq
laptop and have used Dells, Macbook Pros, and Thinkpad hardware with
one distro or another ever since. I'm currently running Ubuntu 16.04.2
LTS on a 4K UHD Dell XPS-15 9560 (2017) and the Dell USB-3C/TB dock
will power the laptop but the ethernet port doesn't work, nor do many
of the other ports.