> Yes, I'm quite aware of forking a new process and executing new code.
> And yes they are different and your "terminology matters" is important.
> I did a fun program to play with modem control lines of the old standard
> UART, actually very deep control of the UART registers and terminal IO
> filtering. I used the fork and pipe trick to create a listener waiting
> and an active process. Played with pseudo terminals.

Im' Interested. Create a github account and post code, or post it as you did
before on your website.

> I guess my interest in the UART programming was using hardware (modem
> control) interrupts with serial port automation. Everybody thinks RS232
> is 2 wires plus ground now. Others were playing with it, but Theo. Tso.
> the driver maintainer said it was a bad idea, but then it was a bad
> driver too. Current USB ports are fast, but not an old guy's idea of an
> industrial controls interface.

Eventually you will not be able to play the old guy on TV Rick, and it will
be when you realize that all the hardware components you can buy and will
need for your project will be USB/FTDi or something similar and no more RS232.

Almost everything we run across is USB, and if there are serial protocols
that are used, they most certainly are ported over FTDI chips over USB now.
Unless you are using _very_ old controllers with actual RS232 sockets you can
ditch serial ports. My 2 euro-cents.

Your crazy projects in the Minnesota wilderness sound interesting. Keep us
posted.