I'm only going to comment only on the < GnuRoot > part of this message.

Actually < GnuRoot Debian >, which appears to be Debian 8 (jessie), has a
March 2017 update date, therefore, I think that is the one to use!

I just use < GnuRoot Debian > through the terminal rather than bring up X and
an xterm (I think X is via X11-server-that-speaks-VNC) since the screen is
a smartphone screen after all, and I have 1920x1080 on the screen so every
button is way too small!! I used it on these Samsung Galaxy S-series:
{S2, S5, S7}. [Recently my S5's video fried so I ebay-bought an S7.]

First off, the important thing is, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ROOT YOUR PHONE!

It seems pretty capable, although not everything will work. For one thing, I
think you have to run as user root. Your home directory (/home) is on your
VFAT internal flash drive (path is < /sdcard/ > although it is *NOT* the
external-SD-card but *IS* the internal storage). Path /, on the other hand,
is, I believe, some kind of ext#, although, annoyingly < df / > says rootfs.
At any rate, your /sdcard/ doesn't let you execute--has noexec, no doubt,
directories you create under / will let you execute stuff. Further, your
directories under / will have the nine permission bits handled correctly, etc.

I have used < gcc, make, perl, emacs, shell scripts (/bin/sh), bash,
traditional-nc (nc is netcat), ssh (client), scp (client), sftp (client).

IIRC, I had trouble trying to install < sshd (i.e., the ssh server) >.

I didn't try because I didn't care to have one: *apache* server.

In my .bashrc, I have the equivalent of:
  TZ=:America/Chicago
  HOME=/com
  export TZ HOME
and I did < mkdir /com >. I also added < $HOME/bin (i.e., /com/bin) > to my
PATH.

So, if I want to use internal storage (VFAT), it is at < /home >, and if you
want to use < what I think is EXT# but is labelled as rootfs >, I can use ~
(which is /com).

You can use whatever name you want other than the "com" part of < /com >.
That's just what I decided to use.
[Etiology of com (what I think is a better name than "smartphone") is:
com = com com = (com)puter (com)unicator.]

Now, you can easily get to, on your Android file-management-program on the
outside of GnuRoot, you  use path < /sdcard/GNURoot/home (capitalization may be
incorrect) to get to the GnuRoot-path of < /home >.

The least annoying keyboard that I've found (it is still annoying in that
sometimes arrow keys don't work in emacs) is: NextApp

So, to get < emacs > to your Android "smartphone", do this in GNURoot Debian:
  apt-get install emacs

====
Sorry for the sililoquoy. It's just GNURoot works so well that I am excited
about a useful Linux in my pocket.
====

~ Steve ~