I frinking hate dbus. I don't know why they don't just use ipc. It is
supposed to be better because it can park and wait or run multiple
messages in parallel

so the way i read this is inline...

On 7/25/17 1:50 PM, gregrwm wrote:
> probably not samba.  if it's not LTS the whole thing is beta at best,
> and often more like alpha.  when i file ubuntu-bug it does
> occasionally happen that someone sees it and hadn't known about the
> problem.
>

> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 12:47 PM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com
> <mailto:mbmiller+l at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     This was as serious as any BSOD.  I was using chromium-browser and
>     when I used the mouse to copy the URL, the whole system just froze.
>     The mouse still moved on the screen at first, but nothing else worked,
>     then the mouse froze too.  I doubt it had anything to do with
>     chromium.  I couldn't use ctrl-alt-F1 and the machine seemed to
>     disappear from the home network, so I couldn't even see it, never mind
>     ping it or ssh to it.
>
>     Here are the messages from /var/log/syslog (my machine is "taxa2"):
>
>     Jul 24 17:02:49 taxa2 org.gtk.vfs.Daemon[2445]: fusermount: failed to
>     access mountpoint /run/user/1000/gvfs: Permission denied

So there is a daemon process trying to access a file it doesn't have
permission for..

>     Jul 24 17:02:50 taxa2 hud-service[2166]: #033[31mvoid
>     DBusMenuImporter::slotGetLayoutFinished(QDBusPendingCallWatcher*)#033[0m:

This looks like the desktop layout.. and since it can't complete.. it
appears as a hang. if you ssh'd in the box itself would probably be
running just the windows .. i think that's gnome

>     "No such interface 'com.canonical.dbusmenu' on object at path
>     /org/ayatana/bamf/window/67108867"
>     Jul 24 17:02:54 taxa2 unity-panel-ser[2034]: menus_destroyed:

menus destroyed!!!

>     assertion 'IS_WINDOW_MENU(wm)' failed
>
>     That's what happened just as it got stuck.  There was nothing for 25
>     minutes before that and nothing after that until I reset the computer
>     and rebooted.
>
>     Any ideas?  Could it have anything to do with samba?

nope pretty sure it is the windows manager