Yeah, I was kinda tempted (I miss having a tablet since my N10 dies), but
I couldn't find any useful info about unlocking and getting a custom ROM
on the new Fire HDs.

That said, the regular ol' Kindle app for Android should work just fine
with CyanogenMod (which has been discontinued and reborn as LineageOS).