Iznogoud writes:
> I figured I'd give it a shot. I took the gcc-6.3.0 tarball, as gcc-7.x is
> still unreleased. I am doing this on Slackware64 14.1 on kernel 3.10.17.
>
> To build just what you want, use this first switch at configure:
>
> ./configure --enable-languages=c,c++ \
>            --prefix=/opt/gcc-6.3.0 --program-prefix=izno_ \
>            --with-system-zlib --disable-multilib
>
> The prefix is where I dump binaries and libraries that will become modules
> (as I described earlier). The program-prefix is so that I avoid conflicts
> with the existing gcc, g++ and so on when the gcc=6.3.0 module is loaded.
> I do not use the Zlib that came with the distribution because it fails to
> build (this took me a while to isolate). I disable building the 32-bit
> stuff with the last switch.

Thanks that will help a lot.   I didn't run into that Zlib problem
but good to know about it.  My first attempt at building died
after 30 minutes or so due to flex not being available.  I had
to do a "make distclean" and start over after getting flex.

> It configured. I put 3 threads to the compiling task ('make -j 3') as I am
> doing other stuff on this system right now and that is what I could spare.
> Will report back on results.
>

> As a side note, Intel has done an incredible amount of work to bring good
> compilers and other tools to life, and some of them for free. (I think,
and
> I could be wrong, that this is in support of computer installationas at
> government HPC facilities where, to my knowledge, almost everything is on
> Intel hardware.) The C, C++ and Fortran compilers are very good, on both
> Linux and Microsoft Visual Studio.

It's possible that using the Intel compiler would help for my
code generator, but would have to check on that.  This thread says
they support FreeBSD
https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-c-compiler/topic/284695

but their marketing emphasizes Linux, Windows and OS X.  Also I'm
using two C++ 2017 features.  One of them is string_view which is
a library only feature I think.  It wouldn't be very hard for them to
add support for that.  The other one though is a change to the
language and I'd be surprised if they have that.  This page
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-c-compiler-170-for-linux-release-notes-for-intel-parallel-studio-xe-2017#cpp14

mentions support for C++ 2014 features, but I didn't see anything
about C++ 2017 features.

Clang doesn't have support for that language feature of C++ 2017
that I'm using either in Clang 4.0.  GCC 7 is the only compiler
I'm aware of that has it.  I'm only using it in one place though
so it wouldn't be hard to forego that.  But I'm using string_view a
lot already so have to have that.

Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises - "For G-d so loved the world, that He gave His
only-begotten Son, that whoever believes on Him may not perish,
but have life eternal."  John 3:16

http://webEbenezer.net