To the original question, I think there is nothing better than editing files
by hand when it comes to configuring things. This is one of the powerful things
about the unix (and Linux). Convenience, like using GUIs, comes at a price, and
you are relying on somebody else's idea of convenience, robustness and more
importantly security. Never take my advise, but it is to learn to do everything
properly and from the command-line. Keep unix unix and thank me later.

There are many books on the subject. Get one and start reading and keep it as
a reference. If you want a quick start within the next few minutes, here is
your freebie: http://tldp.org/LDP/sag/sag.pdf The kernel has received updates,
and several more daemons and other system related components have been added
to Linux, and many more so on the more bleeding edge distributions. So, expect
that you will have to stay up-to-date and that it is a moving target. (I do
remember the day that "shadow" passwords were added to prevent hashed ones from
being visible to common users.)

As for high-resolution timers, it is not like anything has really changed in
terms of using them and programming with them. The manual page Rick mentioned
is here: http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/time.7.html
It states that the _first_ update to jiffes was done by increasing the timer's
resolution by a lot, and then shortly after was given several possible modes
of operation, with multimedia applications in mind. But the high resolution
timers were added later, and in my mind they are in support of more time
critical applications, like real-time systems that perform data acquisition
for experiments and other real-life equipment.

There is nothing crazy about using HRTs in programming. How about something
like clock_gettime() and so on? Here is an extract from the man pages from my
system (slackware 14.1):

       #include <time.h>

       int clock_getres(clockid_t clk_id, struct timespec *res);

       int clock_gettime(clockid_t clk_id, struct timespec *tp);

       int clock_settime(clockid_t clk_id, const struct timespec *tp);

Nothing more bare-bones thant <time.h> in my opinion...

The gospel by Robert Love is what I use for a linux system programming
reference book:
Love, Robert, "Linux System Programming," 2nd, Ed., O'Reily, 2013.

I love that book.