This probably isn't the most private place to discuss this. But heck,
change has to happen.

I totally agree with the urban farming. I lived in the Selby-Western
area of St. Paul in the early 1970s before it was cool. Tried to learn
piano at a local community center from a black teacher (Mr. Whitacre)
who kept playing Chopin when Scott Joplin was popular. Lowertown St.
Paul was abandoned, except for a farmers market, when they let me play
scientist. So I lived the back to the city scene before I rediscovered
the rural scene. Community gardens were way before my time. So yes, guys
like me do some dirty work, then politicians, bankers and speculators
take over. Right now our rural area looks like Wayzata. Stereotypes
don't work.

What is obvious to me is we desperately need better rural land use. And
I think the old computer innovators have ideal skills. With everybody
worried about grid hacking and terrorism, our energy grid infrastructure
could be greatly upgraded. The solar photo-voltaic and windmill and
battery baloney is a weak competitor to your car's generated power and
electronics. But we need fuels, and the corn ethanol as energy security
story proved false. We can make a lot of energy product out here. But we
need more scientists, not more diesel mechanics.

It's kind of like the internet as a communications national security
development. People think the NSA spies on the internet, but the NSA
built the internet.