I cant speak to the  IRC stuff since I never did use it much.  I can say
that as you stated Linux (mint) does just work now.  I have in the
recent past installed it on the laptops of three
computer users that could navigate windows but not much beyond that.
After I set them up with mint they were happy.  No questions, no
issues.  I made sure they had chrome and firefox
as that was what they were used to, plus an install of thunderbird just
in case.  I was expecting a fair amount of follow-up support would be
needed, but it wasn't.
They could web browse and email faster then they were used to and just
very very happy with that.

Back in 96  I downloaded the slackware distro one floppy at a time and
set it up.  It took me a few months to find a way to get X-windows
running with my graphics card, but I did get there.
It's nice to see that things have matured enough that you don't have to
beat your head to use and love linux.
(I know I'm sending this from a windows 10 install, but Linux is my main OS)