Got it Rick. Yes, we discussed this before; for high-fidelity acquisition
measurements you will need precise time. You do not want a soft timer for
that, but something that queries the hard clock.

If you can afford having a process devoted to full-time data acquisition
(and you should if you need it), have it making continuous queries to the
clock and decide to trigger the acquisition event. With some offline tests
and experimentation you can associate a time-scale with the response from
the data-acquisition interface such that data is perfectly matched to an
objective time. Peg the process to a core and keep it there.

There has got to be a lot of work done on this. People do super high
frequency measurements with proper hardware, and I am sure somebody out
there has pushed the limit of it under some Linux setup.