I am quite interested in how the UEFI BIOS might work. I don't have any
systems using it now, but a little reading suggests there is a switch to
boot from standard IBM BIOS. Really, I don't know anything about it.

I believe memtest86 might be the very old version.

Not to change to completely off topic, but playing with "FreeDOS" is
fun. They seem to have a real working OS. So far it seems to work with
QBasic, QuickPascal, etc., beautifully. As discussed before, Industrial
PCs and embedded x86 with RS232 ports galore are available. I would hate
to see yet another ?advancement? screw up !advancement!