You are gracious and informative to many people about many Linux topics.

Yes, this is all old school and maybe not very useful. But if you have a
chance to peek at the 1995 SerialPort-hardware document (sort of
linked), it might be worth saving. It reminds me a lot of Atmel Atmega
chip programming, without the onboard memory and CPU. If you look at the
document "Mice" section, it describes the communication protocol.

Thanks for the chance to keep in touch with dear civilization. Tomorrow
I'll feel up to crawling in the snow putting chains on the tractor tires.