On 12/12 11:40 , Iznogoud wrote:
> You do not have to use any of those environments (KDE,GNOME, etc) if you do
> not like them. Use FVWM2, like I do. It does not use 3D acceleration and will
> not be an immediate problem to running X (X11 that is).

I used FVWM2 for many many years, and liked it very much. Occasionally I'm
tempted to go back to it.

When I taught linux administration I would often use a different desktop
environment on each day of class, to show the students just how
customizeable the desktop can be. I've probably seriously used a dozen
different WMs and DEs over the years. They all suck in their own way. ;)

Still, on the whole, it's a good experience.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator