I would be delighted to chat with you on a separate thread. I tried
starting a new thread called "Serial Port complexity." It didn't seem to
get posted so maybe it's too off topic or had a link to a web page.

I don't know how Unix+SerialPorts+Terminals got irrelevant in these days
of industrial automation.