On Wed, 2017-08-23 at 00:53 +0000, Iznogoud wrote:
> Mike,
> Without knowing exactly how Ubuntu deals with a new installation on a
> disk that
> already has partitions (and not being an Ubuntu user) I cannot tell
> you that I
> have a cookbook solution. But what I can tell you is that any sane
> distro will
> ask you were to install the root directory "/" and certainly whether
> to do
> any formatting of the existing partition. I'd rename the /home to
> /home_OLD
> and go with a fresh install step-by-step minus any formatting.
>
> Booting and having a proper boot-loader is the crucial part. It will
> likely
> place grub where it should be in a partition that will be mounted as
> /boot
> under the new system. In essence, even if you wiped /bin /usr and all
> of that
> clean, the system would be new from scratch anyway and with /home_OLD
> untouched.
>
> If you really paranoid, mount a USB drive with any filesystem on it
> (it can
> be an NTFC) and do this:
>
> 'rsync -av /home/ /mnt/where_USB_is_mounted/home_TRANSFER/'
>
> You can always recover from there if anything goes wrong.
Here's how I upgrade / downgrade Linux installations (yes, both Debian
and CentOS distribution upgrades have pissed me off royally in the
past).
(0) capture a list of installed packages in current system
	(0a) if a Debian system, execute
		$ dpkg get-selections | grep -v deinstall >
~/Desktop/installed_pkgs
(1) purchase a new HDD/SSD for the system in question
(2) install new HDD/SSD in system
	(2a) place old HDD/SSD into external dock, do not mount yet
(3) fresh install of new OS version onto new HDD/SSD
(4) install main software in the new OS version
	(4a) $ sudo apt-get update
	(4b) $ sudo apt-get upgrade
	(4c) $ sudo dpkg --set-selections <
/<old_SSD_mnt_point>/home/<userid>/Desktop/installed_pkgs
(5) execute my acceptance tests based on what I use most
(6) If any show-stoppers, install old SSD back into system and try
again some time later with a future version of the OS
There's a similar path for CentOS for steps 0 and 4.
Alternatively make an exact duplicate of your old HDD/SSD via:
	# dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=100M conv=notrunc
where /dev/sda is your original existing HDD/SSD
and /dev/sdb is your new blank HDD/SSD
upgrade in place, run acceptance tests; if show-stoppers, put new
HDD/SSD into system and boot normally to be back where you were prior
to any upgrade attempt.