Greetings

Did some more investigating and so my question is morphing slightly - - -
sorry!

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Iznogoud <iznogoud at nobelware.com> wrote:

> Did not know of Chef.
>
> Maybe I am missing something, but what is this server that needs those
> services
> running? Is it a virtualized server? Is it something internal to a domain
> and
> is a physical box?

I am working on a number of different things.

1. a local server that could (and hopefully will) enable me to run my
business
       this is at least one physical box (and maybe more)
       (looking at adding a large number of inputs from a variety of
different sources
          AND processes)
2. a hosted server (my guess is this is virtualized)
      this is for website setup and presentation

> Most distributions will allow you to use existing packages that put
> together
> those services on the distribution of choice, and setup time is minimal.
> And
> if you are using a VM (virtualized server) that somebody else provides,
> they
> most certainly have instructions on how to do it. I used Slicehost
> (RackSpace)
> over 8 years ago and their instructions were spot-on. (This email is
> coming to
> you from that VM.)

That was/is my initial point but . . .

In my reading over the years it would seem that Postgresql has more
'whatevers'
(can't remember the exact term) that make for a very robust database for
business
financial use. This was such that 12 to 15 years ago its was 'Mysql is not
really
applicable for business (read financial) use'. That difference may not be
present
today but I would still like to be using Postgresql for my 'stuff'.
Further complicating things Mariadb is beginning to replace Mysql due to  -
- -
let's say a number of factors. Another factor is that my hosting provider
ONLY
supports Mysql.
Somehow I want/need to learn website development and support and to do this
I would like to setup something like a mirror at least between here, at
home, and
at the official host.

I'm not sure I'm explaining things well or that I even understand what I'm
trying to
do. Just know that I need to learn how to do this stuff.

(One example of something I would like to use is Horde Groupware for
business
connections, meaning at least employee communication and scheduling (if not
somewhat more).

Further questions, hopefully, cheerfully entertained - - - :-)    !

TIA

Dee