Thanks for the info, Steve.  I'll be giving it a try, too.

Yeah, a 1920x1080 smartphone could be hard on the eyes, to say the
least.  Maybe it's a little easier on a Fire HD 8.  Also, you can
usually change fonts and icon sizes in Linux, so that could help.

I'm thinking of using VNCviewer on it.  Have any of you ever done that?

Mike