On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 21:11 -0500, B-o-B De Mars wrote:
> On 4/26/2017 9:54 AM, Iznogoud wrote:
> >

> > > I want nothing to do with ZFS and FreeNAS.
> > >
> > > But thanks for reading what I wrote.
> > >
> > Have you found anything that worked for you?
> >
> > (And was it better than FreeNAS and anything ZFS that you initially
> > wanted
> > to avoid?)
> >
> > I am going to need to do better than I am doing right now with
> > storage if a
> > project materializes. I figured I'd revive this thread.
> Why not just buy a Qnap NAS & buy some disks & be done with it.

Many models of NAS devices have disk compatibility issues that basic
enclosures and software RAID do not.
I haven't done an exhaustive search but try finding an off-the-shelf 4
disk NAS that supports 4 10TB HDDs.
Cost is another factor, a basic enclosure attached to your own software
RAID hardware is more likely to be upgradable to new disk densities
whereas NAS enclosures can only upgrade so far before they need to be
replaced.
I've built and ran servers using hardware RAID and software RAID. Used
to be that hardware RAID was superior in terms of performance but that
gap has narrowed tremendously. (anybody want to buy a couple of rack
mountable 4U SuperMicro mother board servers with 3Ware RAID cards and
8 HDD slots, Xeon CPUs and 16-32GB RAM? Doesn't everybody have at least
one 42U rack in their home?